Ariadne’s Notes: Just got a call this morning from our wonderful human rights and advocate Alaha Ahrar. She was our first director a number of years ago.
This proclamation is important. The children and youth are the leaders of the future. We need to empower and believe in them, band together to bring projects of hope and inspiration that creates success for them. World Poetry Canada International calls for all our 10,000 participants to come together individually and collectively for the precious children of the world.
JUSTICE FOR ALL CHILDREN by Alaha Ahrar.
JUSTICE FOR ALL CHILDREN
Today, November 20th, is the Universal Day of Children!! How wonderful and lovely, but I wish the United Nations showed some practical actions in support of refugee children as well. If refugee children are also included, then this day would have a real meaning and would be very appropriate for all children, but how? Some children have privileges that others are unable to afford or are denied including their basic human needs and rights. The weather is getting colder day by day, but some children have no support.
* Happy Children’s Day to all children around the world!
* All children are sweet and lovely regardless of their immigration status, race, religion, tongue and region, abilities and disabilities.
* All children should be treated the same regardless of the amount of wealth their parents have in their bank accounts.
* All children should be loved and cared for the same, regardless of whether their parents are around to nurture them.
* All children should be supported the same. Instead of calling them orphans of war, everyone should create a garden of care for each one of them.
* No child should be punished or called irresponsible for not having anyone to teach him/her manners.
* No child should be discriminated against based on the level of the poverty that they live in now, whether with their parents or without their parents.
* All children should be given equal attention regardless of the level of their intelligence.
* All children must be treated the same way regardless of not having supportive families, cute clothes and beautiful looks.
* All children should have access to the same amount of water and food to survive on a daily basis.
*All children must be protected from all predators, all kinds of abuses including emotional and physical violence.
* All Children must have adequate clothes for each season.
* Everyone should help to protect children and make it a safer environment for them to grow up peacefully because children are the future of this world.
* All children must live under a roof because all children’s bodies are the same. The homeless, displaced and refugees, children’s bodies also cannot tolerate the intensity of this cold weather.
Are we still proud of ourselves? Are we satisfied with the knowledge that we have about the needs and violations of the rights of the refugee children? Do we know enough to help other children in need of food, clothes and shelter? Have we done anything to support at least one child in our life-time.